A UNESCO World Heritage Site
UNESCO World Heritage Site, the landscapes of the Lake District have been shaped by both nature and humans for thousands of years. Glaciers and rivers have carved out the iconic valleys and hills, while farming, forestry, quarrying and other industry have made a contribution of their own.
It’s a nature lover’s paradise – a place of glittering lakes, lush valleys, craggy peaks and quaint villages. The contrasting scenery of the Lakes famously inspired various authors and poets. Both William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter were moved to literary genius during their time living here.
Adventurers on holiday in the Lake District can scale England’s highest peak, Scafell Pike, whose summit looms at 978 meters high, or one of the many other rugged and beautiful mountains. There is also plenty to do closer to the ground. Spot ospreys soaring overhead, sample some of the amazing Grasmere Gingerbread or simply enjoy a lakeside stroll.
A holiday to the Lake District also promises various points of historic and cultural interest. You can immerse yourself in all things Beatrix Potter with a visit to her Hill Top farmhouse. Don’t miss the beautiful gardens at Lowther Castle or the other stately homes. In addition, you could explore old industrial factories, stone circles and Roman ruins.
Things to see and do in the Lake District:
- Enjoy the stunning views in Buttermere Valley, equally impressive from a low-level lakeside walk or from one of the higher crags
- Ascend England’s highest mountain, Scafell Pike, which is part of the Southern Fells
- Tackle some of the UK’s most challenging and dramatic roads by bike
- Take in the 70ft high waterfall Aira Force and the impressive woodland planted in the surrounding park at the end of the 19th-century
- Visit Dove Cottage, where William Wordsworth penned some of his best works
- Enjoy a traditional cream tea in Borrowdale Valley, said to the most idyllic valley in the lakes
- Explore Windermere, the largest lake in the park by boat, you can hire a privately or join a cruise